LockPass

Internet of Things (IOT) is growing by leaps & bounds, many companies are hard at work, building out IOT infrastructure, developing methods of communication between the billions of IOT devices, creating innovative solutions for smart homes, smart vehicles, autonomous drones, etc. Nillion is poised to play a major role in IOT development. My idea is to develop a wide range of IOT locking devices, integrating NMC tech. Allow me present ‘LockPass’, a Nillion enabled solution for potentially millions of IOT locking devices heading our way. You can think of LockPass as being the ‘LastPass’ for physical locks.

Imagine you are at your front door, you have your RFID card ready, you scan your card & the door unlocks, or you may prefer to enter a 4-digit pin to unlock. Simple right? But what if I told you that you could have the same pin for all your locks, i.e. – home, vehicle, door at the office, padlock, you name it, could be any IOT lock. Imagine a future where you only need one key? All powered by Nillion’s NMC Network.

LockPass will provide customizable locking solutions, imbued with ITS, the ultimate data protection, while at the same time offer simplicity of use. Simply open your LockPass app on your phone (or other device), where you will have the option to add a device & set your pin for the device. The LockPass app is dealer node which interacts with the Nillion Network, so all your data entered is protected by Information Theoretic Security (ITS). You would have options to set devices to unlock with Pin Codes, RFID tags (identifier added via the app), or even Biometric scan. Scalability will not be an issue, being that LockPass is integrated into the Nillion Network.

Programmable physical locking devices, offering ITS level security would have many use cases: homes, cars, large organizations with many employees (locks could be programmed with varying levels of access), hotels, school lockers, padlocks, etc. This is an untapped market in which the breakthrough technology of NMC could potentially have a huge impact. There is a market for business, retail, corporations, governments, etc. I envision opportunities for collaboration & partnerships with business & industry as well as potential ‘fee for service’ models.

In summary, IOT ecosystems will create many interesting use cases. LockPass is one such case. The ITS secured / IOT enabled locks, coupled with the easy-to-use app, has enormous potential, due to the convenience & security provided to the user.

3 Likes

Sounds cool! I however wouldn’t want any of my locks become unusable if the internet goes down, or if there’s any sort of similair technical mishap. ‘Tech locks’ like this are usually really poorly manufactured as well and easy to break into physically (meaning the digital security isn’t whats limiting its security), but the idea of this being a more secure way of it is interesting. I would consider using something like this for extremely critical applicaitons.

1 Like

For me, this is more a question of comfort. Usually, these kinds of locks have a fall back old fashioned key to unlock them. But it is more comfortable to only take you Smartphone and unlock everything with it. The fallback key can then be buried somewhere in the garden, to be accessible in case of emergencies.

Interesting but I have a concern.
An app on a phone that stores all the keys of my things sounds like a one-point-of-failure. The app would be as vulnerable as any other app, in the sense that as scammers can steal our Instagram account, they can steal our app access, but then there is the pin to cipher. As the pin is human readable and non encrypted, that pin can be found by brute force. So, although the keys are safely stored in Nillion, their access is vulnerable.
Or am I missing something? Thx!

This is the front door attacks that was mentioned in the Q&A I think. A way around this is to use multi-factor authentification. You can make this as paranoid as you like. For example the access is only possible with these factors:

• The phone (physical possession)
  • Biometrics | Pin (“knowledge”)
  • a connected smart watch (second physical possession)
  • geo-location (safe zones)

If you leave out the second factor you even have the comfort of not having to take out your phone.

1 Like

Yes :+1:, but I would be super worried to have all my passwords in one e-object even with 2FA! It’s maybe a personal choice rather than a logical one I don’t know.

Do you use a password manager? I think with multi factor access we have the most secure password storage possible. I use the password manager of Brave which only stores the passwords on the device and syncs them with encrypted P2P connection. The problem is, that only one device needs to be hacked to reveal all my passwords. With multifactor I could secure it with more then just a single “swipe-pattern”